Monday, September 15, 2008

Leg Yeild

So for the last few days we've been working on leg yields with Miss Jonza. She does pretty well with them, although she does get *stuck* and sometimes doesn't realize to just step OVER. Its been helping her to relax and actually be able to bend. I've been doing some turn on the forehands too, which is helping her to utilize her shoulders more. She gets stuck on her left shoulder and its hard for me to get her to move it. I can smack her shoulder with the whip and she'll jump over, but she doesn't get that all I want her to do it just to step over with that shoulder. The leg yeilding is helping, as well as picking a leg to halt with.

Friday, she was wonderful, really starting to connect and be nice and soft. Sunday I rode at night. It was the first time I had her in the Indoor with all the lights on at night, and I had a CD playing pretty loud. It took her a bit to relax with all the *newness*. She seemed to calm down and listen by the end of it....So we ended at a good note....Still just walking and trotting. Today, was SUPER windy, we think its from some remants of the last hurricane in the south. So she couldn't focus at ALL! She wasn't very spooky which I was a bit surprised with. I expected her to be quite a bit crazier. So that was good. All we did was walk though, she was too tense and unfocused to do anything more than that. My goal with her is to keep her calm and focused before we go into a faster gait. She will just become frantic in the trot if she can't be calm and focused leading into it. So thats how we've been going these last few days.

She is doing well. I would like another ride like Friday on her tomorrow. Friday felt great, and if I can get her consistantly like friday than I think I can start working on some canter work :). I'll try to keep her progress posted more frequently.

No comments: