Tuesday, February 22, 2005

I'm done.....

I have resigned from volunteering at the witter center. Other than the fact that I do chores 3 or 4 times a week and at most can only ride once or twice a week. And that amount is going to be cut back anyway since I have to work with Peaches the cow for my class. We have to train a cow, mine's never really been handled before. Anyways back to the point at hand why I left.....

1.) people are ALWAYS late to chores. I really think they just dont care because they dont have any commitments afterwards. When they are late to chores that usually makes ME late for class.... ex: yesterday I was on for 7am turnout. One of the girls (there are 3 people for this chore) didnt show up, so i called her after 25 minutes..no answer left a message then 10 minutes later she calls and says she will be on her way. Needless to say we didnt get done till 8:30 (normally get done quarter of 8 till about 8 depending on the day) I didnt get back to my room till quarter of 9...and I have class @ 9! *grrr* again not the only time this happens

2.)The hose burst AGAIN! they bought a new hose about a month ago. The last one kept breaking so badly we had to carry the individual water buckets for every horse. each horse has 2 buckets and we have 32 stalls if I remember correctly. So that is 64 buckets we need to carry to each horse...not to mention we have to give water to the sheep too. Last week I told them that the hose was buckling in like a hundred spots!!! Literally. the black underlining was showing through the green, and was slowly leaking. Well it finally burst in a couple places all over the cement. Which of course are large patches of sheer ice now.... not the most safe thing. Which is what they are supposedly wanting to avoid...yet we STILL dont have a new hose..

3.) I got a wonderful email from one of the co-barn managers saying that we didnt open the stall doors all the way and that 10 of them were not closed all the way by a couple of inches, and this was unsafe for the horses to exit the stalls. WTF an inch or two.... I don't see what the problem is? its not like we are leaving the door only half open and expecting the horses to walk through. AND THEN! she had the gall to say this......

**When you slide/push the door back, it should be lined up with the stall wall, (i.e. your hand should be able to be relatively flat against both the stall door and the wall to which the grain door is attached). If you would like a demonstration, feel free to ask Becky or myself. ***

A demonstration! to open a DOOR! WTF I've been working with horses for the last 9 YEARS!!! I dont need a demonstration on how to open a fucking DOOR! whatever though right? Leaving the door not open completely by an inch or two really puts a horse in danger....not the ice thats all over the floor, or the glare ice at the paddock gates, or the fact that people never spread hay out so the horses wont fight over it. Or the fact that they forget to water them frequently? OR the fact that they feed them incorrectly and have a 2 year old filly (that JUST turned 2 btw, the whole Jan. 1st increase the year thing) is on Prefromance..and has been since she was weaned!!!! And then they were wondering why she could be having hock problems....Or the mare that is currently pregnant that is on Preformance. WTF.

Anyways I am very shocked at how some of these things are run. I hate it, its inefficient, not the best for the animals, and some of those in charge (currently) seem to me, to have a power trip. Whatever.

The equine trainer asked us to stay, and was sorry to see us (meaning me and amy) go because we were the best ones they had, she didnt have to worry what we were doing with our assigned horses. Oh well. I dont know if i believe it or not.... I dont like her training methods either. she is teaching the horses to be down and round perfectly from the second you get on... I dont think that is right and it severly limits what they can be used for in the future. Beating them to keep their head perfect isnt doing anything good over all. Ok enough ranting now.

So as of last night I have resigned. Now I can start talking about peaches...shes a heifer...but oh well.
kim~

2 comments:

Zinnia said...

I think I would not work there either. I can't stand when people do not care for horses correctly AND I hate people who are stupid about power. BAH. Photos of Peaches anytime soon???

Liquid said...

um yeah obnoxious! anyways hopefully i will get some of her soon :)
kim~