Friday, February 04, 2005

YEAH its warm

Well our last lesson was cancelled....Sandy (our dressage team coach) was sick.....but we went out for a practice ride this last tues. I rode Scarlett, a very cute 8 year old thoroughbred mare. She is Marie's mare. She is a dressage club member. Scarlett is up for sale because she wants a horse more suited for eventing, can't say that I blame her. When I asked her to canter she got 2 good bucks in, but a tap with the whip and she was done testing me. Towards the end of the hour she was going nicely.

What is it with me being attracted to horses that like to buck? I rode tory yesterday in the OUTDOOR whooooo WHO! it was so great. It was nice to get out and not be in the cramped and dusty excuse for an indoor. (Its basically a little longer than a 20 meter circle, and you can not fit more than one horse and rider in at once, and its surrounded by 5 foot walls) Anyways, Tory was being as stubborn as ever, she doesnt like to work I have decided. We did some trotting nothing major the snow was too deep to really work on anything, but of course I felt like asking for a canter, because we've been indoors for over a month! She hates to be asked to canter, and she got a few really good bucks in. I was surprised because normally shes just a cowkicking machine, but for some reason she was in the mood to really go all out. I did get her to canter down the long side and so I finished off with a good note trotted a little more at a more collected and sane speed.

Well today we finally got a Dressage lesson in. I rode Fritz. He is this cute little grey pony thats 4 years old. We practiced our Training Four test for the IDA show in april. I kept forgetting parts but he was fun to ride all the same. He was only a bad boy once. We were doing a canter circle at E to the right. He decided to go left just before we reached the opposite wall. Which of course threw us both off balance the little brat. I guess he started to do that with a couple of the little lesson girls. Poor things, something like that can really shatter a little girl's confidence. So we fixed the direction into going BACK the way we were supposed to be heading and tried again. The second I felt him start to lean to switch direction I gave him a good smack with the whip and he changed his mind real quick. And then he went back to being a good little pony.

Overall though I felt very sloppy and wrong. My back was sore from constantly trying to keep my position. I dont know if it was because of this little green pony? or because it has been so long since i've had to actually ride in a lesson. I havent had a lesson in over a month because of 3 weeks of cancellations due to cold and sickness, and 3 weeks off for winter break. Atleast that is what I am assuming. I dont have a clue, my back is still sore and I am very tired after a week of studing and exams (my last one is tomorrow morning). *phew* wish me luck, I hope next week's lesson is more fulfilling.

2 comments:

Zinnia said...

hey. one thing Robyn told me to do with Oakley. he hates to canter and hops around sideways and crabtrots and kicks out, etc. So, I in the rising trot, kind of swing my legs forward and back. It creates some noise and helps him not be so fricking sensitive about the outside leg coming back. The other thing we have been doing is placing te leg back for a few strides and then NOT asking him to canter. Bring the leg back and go to a big wide open posting trot. It is helping...

Liquid said...

See this is the weird part...I can do that. I can put my legs where ever I want and she usually doesnt do anything unless I specifically ask her to move forward...or to canter....odd very odd. Spurs...she doesnt even FLINCH! and half the time she doesnt respond to the whip either. She doesnt really listen to my leg either for the most part....